D.J. McRae provided construction services for St. James Anglican Cathedral for over 20 years under numerous Deans. We have completed additional work at other buildings they control including the crematorium and St James the Less Chapel. The Cathedral is a landmark building both for the Anglican Church and the City of Toronto.
Change Bells: As a 200th Anniversary celebration, the Cathedral undertook this project and contracted D.J. McRae to be responsible for the installation of the bells within the tower. There were a total of 12 change-ringing bells, which were shipped over from Great Britain. 10 bells were originally cast in 1828 and came from St. James Bermondsey (London suburb) and two other bells were cast by Britain’s Whitechapel Foundry (who originally made the other 10 bells).
Masonry: Pinnacle replacement, stone carving, stone brick replacement, pointing.
Roofing: Slate, copper roofing and flat roofing.
Painting: Interior painting various locations.
Demolition: Interior selective demolition including basement, church offices.
Complete interior restoration of St. James the Less included Joss cleaning of interior brick work, waterproofing, concrete, painting and wood work.
* D.J. McRae received the Award of Merit from the Torono Historical Board, and the Toronto Construction Association award for Project Restoration of the Year for the restoration of St. James the Less.